Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ V
Home

Old 01-03-2011, 22:13   #111
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
that would be less than 1 euro for every 10 hours
You mean, that they pay you for playing ?
Old 04-03-2011, 18:26   #112
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiey View Post
It's out!

143.9 MB
Is the new patch any good, could it make us return to play Civ 5 again?
Old 04-03-2011, 20:54   #113
Furiey
King

I certainly makes for a quick start with the policy that gives you 50% Settler reduction and a free settler!
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 22:28   #114
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I tried a game with the patch yesterday as Darius on a small pangea map (6AI) on emperor and quit after an hour in complete frustration, did not even save. I scouted more than half the map by turn 90 (600BC) and did not see any iron. AIs and city states did not have iron either. However, there were insane amount of cows and sheep basically everywhere. My starting location had room for 2 cities and not a single tile more. They somewhat enhanced production but severely decreased gold yield. Thus, I had 2 cities, 3 warriors and a worker and my maintenance was exceeding the income. So, despite having all these hammers, I had noting to build but wonders because could not afford any building maintenance. Also, all AIs were cheesy friendly for some reason almost from the very start and I got Steel on turn 90 via agreements and blocking tech paths which is quite ridiculoius. IMO, the game was not tested and the balance is completely absent. IMO, it was more balanced in the unpatched initial version of the game if one does not count the exploits. So, as it is now, it is essentially unplayable to my taste. DX10 also stopped working again and DX9 is barely holding up. Fan noise is insane and temperature of graphics card is climbing. There is also memory leak unfixed despite all claims. Game took over 1Gb (it is a lot of memory, not sure even 1% of that is actually needed) of memory but after quitting to main menu and reloading an autosave around turn 60, it were less than 500Mb.

Last edited by akots; 04-03-2011 at 22:32.
akots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 22:58   #115
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by akots View Post
I tried a game with the patch yesterday as Darius on a small pangea map (6AI) on emperor and quit after an hour in complete frustration, did not even save. I scouted more than half the map by turn 90 (600BC) and did not see any iron. AIs and city states did not have iron either.
Bad luck, IMHO.

I just started a new game yesterday. Small pangaea too, 5 AI, as Nebuchanezzar. No iron in range of my cities (plenty of space for 5-6 cities). Bought iron from a city state and butchered Persia, who had another 3 iron sources. Needless to say I cruised the rest of the way...

But there do seem to be insane amounts of cattle and sheep. Maybe someone at Firaxis has a livestock obsession or something?
Old 05-03-2011, 00:16   #116
Furiey
King

I've not had a problem with iron, there do seem to be a lot of cows and sheep, also a lot of barbarians.
Old 05-03-2011, 18:46   #117
Kingreno

Sounds like no big changes to me. For those who agree to that, please do visit the SP-challenges forum in the Civ III section and play KoE 2.
Old 07-03-2011, 15:27   #118
Darkness

I bought a couple of DLC's this weekend...

I skipped the map pack, but I bought "Babylon", "Spain and Inca" and "Polynesia".
I liked Babylon (bowman are nice, and the free great scientist at writing certainly helped) as a civ to play, though, IMHO 3,49 euro's is a quite a lot for just one civ.
Polynesia is a great civ to play. It's unique trait (embarkement and sailing over ocean from the start of the game) are quite powerful if employed correctly (depending on the map of course) and the Moai improvement seriously changes the game for a cultural win. Nice addition, IMHO. I've not yet played the scenario through...

I've also not yet played Spain or Inca's or the scenario in that DLC...

11,97 euro's for 4 civs and 2 scenario's is a bit on the high side (no new game features), but it almost seems like a sort of "half-expansion pack"...
Old 07-03-2011, 15:44   #119
Furiey
King

I think the price of Babylon is set to reflect that it is what people primarily bought the deluxe version for. To those that paid an extra £10, it's currently cheap. I got the Spain pack with my D2D purchase, shan't bother with the maps, may at some point get the polynesia one.
Resource distribution does seem a bit hit and miss, my most recent game I had only one source of Aluminium despite owning 3/4 of the map. I had Iron coming out of my ears though.
Old 11-03-2011, 13:57   #120
Robi D
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
But there do seem to be insane amounts of cattle and sheep. Maybe someone at Firaxis has a livestock obsession or something?
Maybe they hired a New Zealander

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote