Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 20-10-2006, 17:12   #101
Tubby Rower

Matrix... As far as I'm concerned, a 5 hours delay in moves is sufficient even if you get in 2 moves before someone else. The benefit of simultaneous turns is completely nullified if we have to start waiting for others to play.

my definition of a DM is when you wait until the end of a turn and move for one turn, then end your turn, then use up the next turn's movement as well. anything else is fine with me
Old 20-10-2006, 17:19   #102
Matrix
Administrator

Can't say I agree with you here, but fact is I asked you to play in turn. I'd like to break that rule once, so I need your permission. But it seems you don't mind. Besides, IglooDude can't get to me this turn anyway...
Old 20-10-2006, 17:23   #103
Tubby Rower

I personally don't mind.
Old 20-10-2006, 17:29   #104
IglooDude

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Can't say I agree with you here, but fact is I asked you to play in turn. I'd like to break that rule once, so I need your permission. But it seems you don't mind. Besides, IglooDude can't get to me this turn anyway...
You running your turns first is fine with me as well, btw.
Old 20-10-2006, 18:02   #105
Tubby Rower

because I'm a little slow... let me make sure that I understand....

I need to make sure that Matrix plays each turn before I move?
Old 20-10-2006, 18:41   #106
Matrix
Administrator

Yes. But I promise you won't have to wait for long.
Old 20-10-2006, 18:47   #107
Robboo
King

man I disagree with this whole process.

DM to me is holding up the turn so you can move press enter and let it roll to the next turn either by time or by being the last person to play. THen you play the next turn. All this playing in order stuff is not what a live action Civ pitboss game is about. If we wanted to do that why not play it as a PBEM.

I will not do what I and Tubby described as a double move but I will play when I can and not wait for my opponent in a war. If he has to wait thats his problem. I can not and will not set my life by waitign for someone else to play. I have a job and kids and a wife...if I want to keep them I play when I can.

We said "no rules" but this is becomign a massive rule and counter rule mess. Nothing more ticks me off more than discussing rules after we start playing.
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 18:54   #108
Tubby Rower

to be honest... I usually only have in the mornings before work that I can play. So I'll play then. If the turn ends with my turn, I won't take the next turn. Sorry if this causes me to be a jerk Matrix, but I have a family as well and my wife has threatened more than once in the past to break my civ cd.

So I'll have to continue with the way that I've been playing. Double moves such as I have described above are abusive and I don't use them and would prefer others not to use them. But taking our turns in order does seem moronic since we are not playing sequential turns. If you want sequential turns, we need to switch to a PBEM so I can take my turn when I can.
Old 20-10-2006, 19:36   #109
Matrix
Administrator

[sigh] I obviously have a lot more easy going wife.

It probably won't matter as I'll play as soon as the turn begins. But just a slight bit of organisation is way easier than switching to PBEM, where all the players not involved in this war also play in turn. You're making it much more of a problem than it actually is, and you obviously underestimate the negative effects of double moves. I mean, I could've destroyed IglooDude's city!
Old 20-10-2006, 19:49   #110
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Well, "no rules" means "no rules" imho whether one likes it or not. If somebody values their city too much, they can log in at the end of turn and try to do whatever they can. Otherwise, it is free for grabbing.

IMvHO double move is not a bug or a glitch of a Pitboss game but is a feature of a Pitboss game and actually of any MP simultaneous moves game and if you don't like it, don't play it. Play either PBEM or turn-based MP. IMvvHHO.

Rather valid tactics for MP games which I have seen used by other players a lot and have used myself alot is not moving during the turn but pressing end of turn while waiting for others to move. When your opponent against which you are trying to wage a war had pressed end of turn, you waken your units and start moving them around while trying to threaten his already moved units. Hopefully, you can end up last to end the turn and then would have a decent chance to actually being able to attack him during the beginning of following turn by spamming throught the arrow keys. Games can be won or lost because of this and this is pretty valid strategy for any MP game.

Another thing is that people are playing when they can. So why should somebody wait for his opponent to move if he can play now? Again repeating, if his opponent values his city that much, he should either install Civ4 at work or set an alarm clock at 3 am or whatever time the end of turn is anticipated and try to make double move himslef which might actually save his ass with about 50% probability. Otherwise, this basically kills the idea of a Pitboss game.

However, later in the game, this plays lesser role but still imho battles in simultaneous moves games are fun and if somebody does not like it, then they should just stick with PBEM or turn-based MP from the very beginning. Everyone who signed up for this one had been aware of the DM feature and yet it had not been discussed earlier and "no rules" rule had been essentially accepted.