Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-11-2005, 21:12   #21
DavidC

Ai Tech trading : One of the things I noticed is that the AI will NOT trade techs with you if you are the tech leader, which is a really good improvement from Civ3.

The RB1 SG at CFC reminded me of the first time Civ3 came out : it took the whole community 6 months to really understand the game and to be able to win regularly on Emperor and Deity. Sirian founded RBE which means Realms Beyond Emperor which at the time was like *real* hard !
People are now so used to wiping the AIs ass at any level that they require to be able to win at any level 3 weeks after the game is released
I think the levels are really well designed in Civ4 and its good that we cant beat Emperor regularly. Also the game needs some fine tuning to be really good yet. lets all be patient

To come back on topic : the opening moves are important of course in Civ4 Emperor level or higher, however they are less important than in Civ3 because the way to win regularly on Civ4 is to resist and defend a long, long, long time before finally building a stronger economy than the AIs and winning in the late stages of the game !
And that really how it should be, if your objective is to outgrow the AI by 1000bc then forget it, there is no miracle solution for that.
I have played 10 times on Emperor (standard and large/continents) never re-rolling a start and I have won 6 of those times and mostly in the very late stages of the game by diplo, space or even time. Only in 2 cases (out of 10) was I overwhelmingly in front of the AI so that the game was wrapped up by the Classical era.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote