Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 08-08-2004, 20:13   #1
yndy
Prince

Default How does 'Sakra' sound to you?

OK, I'm going to start-up a firm of my own. I'm not going to be my own boss though as the firm will have one exclusive client, my current employer.

Now I have to name the firm and I'm really considering 'Sakra'. Some of you know what that comes from, it's the lizardlike race from Master of Orion 2.

My questions are:
How does that sound?
What do you think about when you read the word?
Does it read somewhat like 'sucker' in English (really, I'm not that sure)?
When you read it/say it, does it sound feminine or is it neutral?
In Romanian it sounds a little like the Romanian for 'sacred'. Is that the case in English/other languages too?

I appreciate any answer, I'm not going to make this into a 'name my firm' thread but I'd like soem feedback on this one.
Old 08-08-2004, 23:34   #2
Plux
King

I like it as a name and I didn't think anything suckerish at all, but, to me, it sounds a bit 'holy'. You know, religious stuff. I don't know what your firm will be doing?

Good luck with it! I have a little, very part-time firm with two friends for a while now, but I'm planning to put some more time and effort in it starting in a couple of weeks. We had been thinking of names for a few weeks, before we decided on 'Slims Software', which we still like after nearly two years. .
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:44   #3
Shabbaman
Administrator

I think that more or less means sacred in any roman language. It's also something of fantasy lore, often with the same meaning (although sacred often means something else in fantasy...) like sa'kraal etc.

You could go for Yndy, of course
Old 09-08-2004, 08:53   #4
digger760
King

before opening this thread i thought you might have been talking about some sort of alcholic beverage/spirit
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 14:41   #5
yndy
Prince

Well I’m in financial advice and maybe acting as a trustee in the future so ‘your money is sacred in our hands’ is kind-of OK. There’s also an Indonesian divinity with the same name according to Google.

A drink’s name, not really that bad considering you’re a guy and you’re interested in drinks.

Yndy is like, my name, I have many friends that call me like that. Also I have a friend call his firm by his name and it sounds bad to me. My other option was to name it with a high resonance English/American name and I was looking for one, which would read exactly the same in Romanian and English like ‘Carlton’ or ‘Carlson’. Unfortunately there are big companies with the same name and I don’t want potential trouble in the future.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:50   #6
Hygro
Chieftain

My only concern is that it's (like others said) too holy/religious sounding. If thats ok with you, then there's no need to worry.
Hygro is offline   Reply With Quote