Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 26-01-2005, 19:44   #1
Black_Waltz

Default And today I get broadband!

Gosh... I never thought this day would come... Living in the wilds of Scotland I thought that my internet was going to be kept to crummy 56k... But finally it became avalible... And now I have it!

Gosh. It really is fast when compared to dial up. Non-cached pages load as fast as anything. It's just wonderful. And online gaming! Yay! I will still play PBEM's but now my horizon is broadened...

So Civ 3. What is non-PBEM multiplayer like? Good fun? What about other online games? My computer isn't the best and I don't have a video card so my selection is rather limited. But any suggestions would be good.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Just insanely happy.

The Red Flag
Black_Waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 20:05   #2
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Non-PBEM multiplayer? I don't like it too much - well, that depends. Unless you set up a game for a certain date ahead of time with a set group of people (or a select person), going into the lobby and joining a random game isn't too smart. However, if you set up a game outside of the lobby and agree on a time and all you have is Conquests open (little lag), it can be good - the games will last not too incredibly long; it'll probably take you at least 2 sessions to finish a game though (a mp session = ~1 hour, 30 mins for me). I had fun doing a MP game with Paalikles (and CivGeneral) earlier with C3C.

Congrats, as well.
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 20:57   #3
Black_Waltz

Yes. I'm guessing I will have to get used to setting up games and such. There are many an internet moron out there. *sighs* But I'm guessing that both this site and Civfanatics have a largeish body of people looking for MP games?

The Red Flag
Old 26-01-2005, 22:20   #4
Matrix
Administrator

Civ3 online is rather attention demanding, since you only get notices of certain events in the upper left corner. That can be quite annoying. But I still prefer it above SP and PBEM, because of the speed.

By the way, you remind me of the joy I had the first days I had broadband. Now it's not joy, it's a necessity.
Old 26-01-2005, 22:31   #5
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Congrats!

There are people who have to go to hospital after a LAN-party weekend

Seriously, even PBEM is much better with broadband, specially when you get in the IA and / or are one of KRs labrats playing maps "slightly larger than large"

As you most likely will get a fixed IP install a solid firewall and learn how it works. I switched from NIS to Zonelabs some months ago and although Program Control is a little more work with Zonelabs they have a very good forum for everything you always wanted to know about firewalls but didn't dare to ask for.
Old 26-01-2005, 22:47   #6
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Or try out Trend Micro's Internet Security. Also good, and AFAIK less expensive than NIS (greedy bastards )
Old 27-01-2005, 09:25   #7
digger760
King

What I dont like about online civ:

No city pop ups when you build something, so the city just builds what it wants after that.
It can be very stressing to get all your moves in in the alotted time
If you are in diplo with somebody, the game moves on in the back ground
In similtanoues moves to opposing stacks could be attacking each other..make it awkward to plan attacks
In general the play style is very different. I think you'd be better of playing rise of nations which is designed for real-time play.

Online Civ is very demanding. In my experience most people drop out. But one gaemn started with 5, 1 dropped out at the start but we stayed going. But my i attacked my niegbour in the ancient age and while i had the better of him he wanted all my tech for peace, which i refused. We battled on for 4 hours. I was exausted. After 4 hours i had Cavalry and riflemen, my enemy had mustateers...but another guy had infantry. But once our second payer dropped they all dropped, leaving me alone...and the winner (kinf of)

digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 09:39   #8
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Agree on the tendency to drop. myself, I have too many issues with firewalls etc to have a stable linkup to gamespy (Col's sig is so true)

But I would like to second a recommendation of Rise of Nations for online multiplayer. That is a nice game for waging war on your friends and enemies
Old 27-01-2005, 21:34   #9
Black_Waltz

Yuck. People just giving up? Well I may look out for the Rise of Nations, I suppose. I'm just itching to have some real fun multiplayer games. :-p

The Red Flag
Old 27-01-2005, 22:57   #10
Matrix
Administrator

You shouldn't just play in a game from the lobby! I'd ask people from CDZ or CFC to play if I were you.