Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 30-09-2010, 10:06   #1
Shabbaman
Administrator

Default Contador finally caught!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
Hate to tell you this, but chances are substantial that this will happen.
Alberto Contador suspended over traces of clenbuterol from Tour de France test
Old 30-09-2010, 10:38   #2
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

No fan of Contador at all, wouldn't mind if he got suspended. However in this particular case he might have a point with 'traces of substance in contaminated food' defense. What I've read so far:

- The amount found is 1/400th of the amount a doping lab needs to able to find in a sample in order to get a license. In normal words: it's a minute amount
- This substance is easily traceable (as the tiny amount shows), which makes it very,very stupid to use when you're checked on a daily basis as contador was in the TdF

I've heard even experts agree this is a case of bad luck, so we'll see what happens. You never know how the UCI will react though: Leukemans got a contaminated product from his team doctor a few years ago. As a result he tested positive. It was established that this indeed was an accident, but he got suspended anyway. Doping commission stated that in the end the rider is responsible for whatever he consumes. I can relate to their PoV but in this case it was pretty harsh for the rider.

Looking forward to the noon press conference
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 11:19   #3
Shabbaman
Administrator

Interesting points, but you clearly miss the following: he could've used this before the tour, to help him during training. The low value could mean that the substance hadn't left his body completely (this is how Ben Johnson was caught, for example). Perhaps he didn't need stimulants during the tour, but if he could've trained harder through the use of banned substances he'd have benefitted from that during the TdF.
Old 30-09-2010, 11:45   #4
ProPain

Because of the easy detection of this substance it would be easy to determine if he'd taken it before the tour already. What I read so far is that this was found on a sample taken in the 21st of July (TdF rest day) but isn't found in (all) samples taken before that date. That would indicate he didnt take it before the tour.

Because of the easy detection they apparently can determine what date he took it, so maybe that will clear up some things.

But regardless of this dope incident I'm not convinced at all Contador is cycling on just peanutbuttet & jelly sandwiches. He's been connected to the Fuentes case and with the Spanish department of justice not really going out of their way to actually punish the spanish atletes involved (just see the Valverde case) I think it's likely Contador has been one of Fuentes clients.
Old 30-09-2010, 12:26   #5
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

I still wonder: did he use an electrical motor, too?

Old 30-09-2010, 17:58   #6
Beorn
Disabled Vet

My point of view on TdF doping is that whether you're doped or not, this is a batshit crazy accomplishment and they deserve a modicum of respect for going out there and riding like that. Assuming he did dope himself for training - which is still dubious, yes it would be unfair to the competition but man do they push those pedals.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 18:00   #7
Shabbaman
Administrator

I like Damsgaard explanation: the fact that the concentration is so low points to blood doping.
Old 30-09-2010, 19:16   #8
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
man do they push those pedals.
or buttons... and zoooooom!
Old 30-09-2010, 21:40   #9
grahamiam
Emperor

[/sarcasm on}Personally, I believe the contaminated meat story. I mean, who hasn't shoved stuff down thier pie-hole without knowing what's in there? The guy just rode a bike race, he probably would've eaten anything thrown down in front of him. I know, once, I had a brownie, and then, for some reason, I tested positive for pot? See, it can happen to anyone! [/sarcasm off]

Plus...
Quote:
Experts said his theory of food contamination was plausible, since clenbuterol is sometimes given illegally to cattle in Europe to speed up growth and increase muscle mass in the animals.
YOU COULD BE TESTED POSITIVE RIGHT NOW WHILST RIDING AN ELECTRIC CYCLE HERR KILLER, SO WATCH OUT!
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 00:45   #10
ProPain

Quote:
Experts said his theory of food contamination was plausible, since clenbuterol is sometimes given illegally to cattle in Europe to speed up growth and increase muscle mass in the animals.
Apart from Contador's story being a bit wacky, the clenbuterol in meat issue is very real. A dutch newspaper in 1994 reported that 10% of veal/beef in the Netherlands contained clenbuterol. Research in Spain showed percentages of 33%, Belgian surveys resulted in 25%.

Now this is quite an old article but there are a lot more articles and Im pretty sure things are better now then they were back then. After all this has had quite some media attention. But I'm also convinced nowadays still a lot of meat will be contaminated with this substance. Just remember the '05/'06 dioxon- chicken affair in Belgium. Same thing.