Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 14-10-2005, 21:43   #1
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Default Magic: the gathering thread!

I've been playing some Magic Online again lately. I suck big time, so I was wondering if some of you Magic playes also play online so we can play and you can hand me some tips. And of course I;m interested in strat talk as well.

Obv. I didn't mean to kill this thread. I changed the title into something more attractive, since I know for a fact that there are more MTG nerds errr... fans in our community
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005, 22:23   #2
Shabbaman
Administrator

Mirage is coming to Magic Online soon! It almost makes me want to get a creditcard and get the game... now I have to do it with regular tombstone stairwells.

Both starcitygames and the official mtg regularly feature articles for complete n00bs like you
Old 20-10-2005, 11:16   #3
ProPain

SHould some of you play online as well please let me know! We can start a CDZ Magic guild as well. Whoohoo!
Old 20-10-2005, 11:22   #4
Kemal

Well, I play offline, as both of you know, and PP almost convinced me into opening my own account, but somehow I never managed to get around doing so. Maybe I will in the future again though, will think about that.

However, I must say I think the quality of the recent expansions has not really been up to standards, most likely since my collection contains a large amount of older cards, whereas the newer sets are geared towards people playing with just the cards of the last few recent sets (and thus forcing you to buy a lot of them).
Old 20-10-2005, 12:00   #5
Shabbaman
Administrator

I feel tempted, PP. However, what I like best about Magic is the social aspect. But playing with you/fellow CDZ might compensate a bit. Money isn't a real issue either, but the main problem is that I don't have a credit card. I don't intend to either. Besides, I'd rather spend the money on real cards.
And I like older cards better. That isn't much of an issue with the release of Mirage though. Actually, that's the main reason I was tempted to start with online magic. But then again, Invasion is probably my favorite block (not set, that's Alliances) and those cards are unimaginable expensive (online, that is).

But there's no difference between irl and online magic, so that wouldn't prevent a discussion. What's your main problem PP?
And Kemal, there are a lot of ways around not owning the newer cards. Unless those people only want to play standard, that is. Standard (read: type 2) sucks.
Old 20-10-2005, 12:35   #6
Kemal

Sure, but usually all the newer sets are set up towards one specific keyword or creature type, be it amplify or slivers or whatever, and have good synergy with other cards from that set, resulting in forcing you to get more of that set if you want to be able to use them effectively.

In older sets, that was much less the case, I think.
Old 20-10-2005, 13:05   #7
ProPain

Spending money on online cards doesnt mean you cant get those cards offline as well. There's a redemption program, so you can convert your online cards to real cards. You do have to redeem per set (iirc, could also be block) and you pay postage.

My main reason to play online is that IRL hardly any people I meet regularly play magic. Online there's always plenty people around. I would enjoy playing a lot more should people I know join (hint, hint) Also the league and tourny format provide a format where people with few cards can compete on equal footing with people who own heaps of cards. I like that as I own just a few cards anyway.

My problem : I lose, I lose a lot

Old 20-10-2005, 13:14   #8
Tubby Rower

I used to play this in college. I had a couple of awesome decks too. I had a green deck and a black/white deck. Problem is that I couldn't find anyone to play with after some of my friends quit. So I gave my cards away....

I might look into this when my goofing off load decreases a bit....
Old 20-10-2005, 13:24   #9
Shabbaman
Administrator

OK, but you lose with what? Drafting? What format?

Kemal, for example, if everyone's playing with artifacts (affinity, mirrodin block), build a deck with four main deck meltdowns.
There are a lot of powerful older cards that screw with new mechanics. Onslaught block was a lot about creature types, but if you look at today's extended, legacy or vintage formats you won't find any of that strategy (aside from goblins, which is just plain evil and damn good...). The solution? Play four wrath of gods and four engineerd plague.
I'll search for an article about exactly this problem which I've read recently. Don't despair. Unless everyone wants to play standard, no one forces you to buy new cards. Nothing beats the power of first turn ritual/hippy anyway

(ok, storm combo)

(ok, every other type 1 deck)

(but you get the point)

I'm all for a good magic thread, but we need some focus. I could write on and on about magic (or hattrick), but that's kinda pointless.

Ok, back to work.
Old 21-10-2005, 04:00   #10
Tubby Rower

I'm d/ling the free trial it's 362MB

I'll let it run overnight. I might get back into this, but when do you guys play.. I don't want to spend money on this and then everything just sits and collects virtual dust.