View Single Post
Old 17-08-2013, 11:59   #4
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plux View Post
it does look very similar to CK2 imo but I dont know the EU series.. how does it differ?

I ve picked up CK2 on sale to play but I dont like the interface so far. still in the tutorial phase..
Well, CK II and EU IV use the same engine and as both games start on a european map so that explains the twin like look and obviously both are strategy games. The games are quite different though

CK II revolves around building a dynasty that survives through the ages. You'll be busy marrying yourself, producing off-spring, ditching unwanted sons, marrying off your daughters for good alliance and off course you'll use some covert action to assassinate a few opponents. You'll be fighting wars but warfare is much more limited in CKII then in EU IV. Also it's almost impossible to gain more provinces than you have a claim on.

EU IV revolves around taking over the world. You'll have a king but he's more of a 'stat-stick'. Dynasties are hardly important in EU IV, when your dynasty dies off, some other king will take his place and you'll continu with that new king. In CK II that would have meant game over.

EU IV revolves around warfare and colonization. This means it's easier to conquer other nations and you can do that even when you lack a claim or a casus belli. You'll pay a high price for it though. In EU IV you can discover the world, while in CK II the starting Europe map is the entier board for the game.EU IV has more military options, you'll get better troops when you discover appropiate techs for example.

EU IV is more 'civ' like than CK II but with more emphasise on diplo imo. In Civ you can just run over as many opponents as your military allows without to much penalty. Try that in EU IV and everybody and their dog will turn against you.

CK II is hard to compare to civ or any other strategy game I know. The dynasty take is unique and CK II is crazy funny in it's event as well.

I do understand your problems with the interface, that's Paradox for you plain and simple. CK II was much better then EU III and I think EU IV is an improvement again but still it's quite a cluttered mess of information overload.

But both games are really good though! I'll do a more extensive write up on my EU IV experiences so far this weekend. I:m really enthusiastic about it, imo they managed to stamp out a lot of the 'spam/repeat' actions of EU III making it even better then EU III to play.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote