View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 05:12   #10
SilentConfusion
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLG100 View Post
The issue with the river is not just the health, it's also the trade, not needing boats. Also the extra bonus as a defender you get for people not having to fight over it. Finally, a particular favourite of mine in BtS is now you cannot use the levee.

The problem with your starting location is that you do have ivory indeed but what else have you got? 1 fish and 2 hills and 10 sea tiles, 2 of which only have 1 commerce. Then from what I can tell you have 5 grassland tiles- I dont think any of them are river placed so you have a very small cap placed on the amount of commerce generated.

Then the issue with the ivory is this (not sure if barbs are on) but not only do you have to build what could be a rather pointless galley earlier on to work the tiles but you also have to station some unit over there in order to guard it/keep a galley around to ship over. otherwise it may get pillaged on a regular basis.

I think in the future you should keep in mind switching your capital to a decent location because the current location is an average at best city, luckily to the south you have a load of trees and so if you have bronze/horses then you can chop out an army very fast and go and capture someone elses capital and use theres!

You shouldn't be afraid of moving your Settler in MP (As you weren't) but there has to be a point to doing so and not just blind moves (as you did with the second move on to the hill). Apologies if my post comes off a little harsh, it was not intended to at all
No need to apologize for sounding harsh. I didn't think it was harsh, just helpful. I didn't consider the other benefits of the river.

Barbs are indeed on and I see your point. I'd need to station troops there or it'll get pillaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akots View Post
The risk was small. That is what I mean.

The main problem is that your leader is not very good for sea-based maps. He has a lot of benefits but they are better for a land-based map. Any financial leader will be in a much better situation. Another drawback of the move is that you cannot irrigate the tiles around the capital rapidly and so you population growth will be slow. Even if you go cottage spam, the cottages will bring less gold early on.

Again second BCLG, sooner or later you would have to move the capital to another city. For now up until size 6 or 7 it will be OK but later in the game the need to tech rapidly will require larger cities and more productive ones. On a bright side, you have some hammers which is the main problem on archipelago type of maps. But with you next move you moved actually away from these hammers for some reason.

So, I'd say that first move is OK. But your second move is a mistake. I'd go back to where you were after the first move. There, you could irrigate almost everything and you would have had 4 hills to work. On archipelago map, it might be better not to settle on plains hills. You lose 2 hammers per turn eventually later on. Although it is hard to tell. Some maps have a bit more hammers.

Also, with regards to ivory, the easiest way will be to settle there at some point. No need to improve and immediate connection to the capital. You can still settle there even if you decide to build your capital where your settler stands now. Unless these two landmasses connect somehow.
The leaders were picked before we knew what type of map it is, so I didn't know I'd be playing Archipelago.

Ok, I agree with you both that I moved blindly the second time and had no reason to. And I also didn't consider that the plains hill might need to be worked do to low hammers. I should be thinking about all the land and its yields not just looking for specials. And the lack of riverside tiles is one more reason why I should have stayed.

Now I guess the question is do I move back as akots says he would do and lose another turn but have a better capitol or do I settle in place and try to leverage the early hammers of the forest into troops to take someone else's capitol and then move my palace?

I think I'm leaning towards the second choice. I can put a city back where I started. I will try to find someone early and take their capitol. I think the tile 1SE of the plains hill is either horse or a metal.

Each of my mistakes I will try to learn from. I want to become better at MP Civ. I was OK with SP for a long time, until I tried MP and now I'm not sure I can go back to playing against the AI. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to comment on my mistakes.