View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 20:28   #46
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

I don't think I've ever seen a player go 0% for alpha like you did in a PBEM.

... I think most PBEMers have learned to build more military than they ordinarily would but with deity AI in between this looks like there won't be a showdown till late MA's.

... It would seem that ROP's will be critical in this game.
I've tried that in a game against Anarres but failed miserably not only with alpha but overall. Again, he was playing as Iro and I was Japan, so that failure was rather expected.

To the second point: all it takes is a military alliance with one AI early in the game. Like on turn 25 or 30 or even 40. It can be rather lethal because on Deity pangea map, one military alliance usually means that you are immediately dogpiled with all other AIs. They do come with slow units mostly though but it is hard to predict and depends on whether they can hook up the resources. IMHO, the game might essentially end with knights and cavalry would be just a finishing touch.

To the third point, iirc, I've been RoP raped in that game by AI 5 or 6 times and lost a few cities. So, it is a double-edged sword.

But really, my experienced on a Deity Pangea map is limited to only a single game against Anarres and the starting conditions were hardly in my favor. I'd say it was a relatively large handicap. Although, I have not lost yet.

In this game, the setup might be more balanced. It is hard to predict what is going to happen.