View Single Post
Old 18-03-2013, 10:34   #4
Shabbaman
Administrator

A reworked trade system could be a major change to the game. Most likely it's the usual Firaxis PR bullshit though. Trade routes are something that could make you very wealthy. A subgame where it would pay off to to influence where trade routes start and end, maybe even route through other cities that take a percentage... could make for a very good strategy game. Oh wait, I'm actually talking about how trade nodes will work in Europa Universalis 4.

Still, it could be an interesting mechanic, worthy of an "expansion". No other civ game has had this in the past (well, maybe something like it was in civ: call to power) or anything similar. Unlike the faith system, which is nothing more but a reskin to the current civics system. To me, G&K has been nothing more but a disappointment: a collection of pre-existing mechanics (within civ4 like espionage or even within civ5 like religion) that do nothing but make the game even easier. As it is now, the game has a very low skill ceiling in single player. It doesn't make it less amusing, but there's little appeal left for me to play single player. Multiplayer is obviously different, simply because human players aren't as predictable as the AI. I like beating the AI though, I'm not much of a multiplayer person. Bottom line: I will be playing EU4, not Brave New World.