View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 11:16   #5
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
Looking at Civ V while keeping in mind the points Soren made, I can't help but think Firaxis moved more towards the 'fun' AI side for Civ V. This means multiplayer and 'Challenge gamers' are less catered too and that's probably what bugs me about the game. It's a fun game but from a competitive MP PoV it's a huge step back from Civ III/IV.

Another point that struck me was the fact that sometimes good ideas get tossed because the AI can't handle them. 1UPT should have had that faith I think, comp is just not able to handle it at all.
I don't think the specific traits he described for the AI have actually changed. The AI isn't totally stupid, and it will definately beat you if you're not aggressive. It's only that they're on a very singleminded path to victory, being domination and histograph, with space and diplo that could eventually turn up as a result of pursuing the histograph victory. And the point is that in Civ5 they're just very bad at the aggro game. But it might've been that they're bad in the previous versions as well, but with huge stacks small favors (or cheats) add up quickly. The AI doesn't seem to value its units properly in Civ5, and with lesser units you have to cheat more on combat odds to compensate for that. Apparently (or: luckily) they didn't do that.