View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20   #3
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

What I really liked was the 'good' AI vs 'Fun' AI comparison combined with the typing of civ players in3 categories. For me that explained a lot about the design choices behind civ. What struck me is that he characterised Civ as a single player game 1st and a multiplayer game (a distant) second, and consequently needing some 'fun'AI design choices over 'good' AI choices.

Looking at Civ V while keeping in mind the points Soren made, I can't help but think Firaxis moved more towards the 'fun' AI side for Civ V. This means multiplayer and 'Challenge gamers' are less catered too and that's probably what bugs me about the game. It's a fun game but from a competitive MP PoV it's a huge step back from Civ III/IV.

Another point that struck me was the fact that sometimes good ideas get tossed because the AI can't handle them. 1UPT should have had that faith I think, comp is just not able to handle it at all.

And I totally agree that Soren is a good game designer, pity he left to make games like Spore (which for me was a huge disappointment) and the Zynga Facebook games.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote