View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 19:23   #26
WackenOpenAir

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grs

Why do you so heavily rely on defensive units?
Hi grs old teammate, nice to see you among the readers

I think i explained that in one of my former posts in this thread.

When invading an island, the defender gets first strike. Most likely, he will have his boats out in sea to spot me comming, so ALL his units will attack the landing party. Just like i did to him. Obviously, not attacking isn't an option for him as i would then simply take 3 cities and reload the rest of my units to land again elsewhere. The defender basically has to kill all units that land on his island in a single turn.

Therefore, key is to survive that first strike. 60 muskets should be able to survive trough the attacks of about 90 cavalry/120 knights.
My cavalry just gets to kill the units that attacked my muskets and use their movement for taking cities. I figure i should be able to hit 3 cities from 1 landing spot with them.

In D-Day games like these, defending units are the best to attack and offending units are best to defend.

When i look at back at this game, i have learned some things. I now know this game could have been over very easilly had KC put more effort in his attack. He could have simply build 100 of his cheap enkidus and i would have had no chance to kill them all in 1 turn.

I have also learned how the tech tree in civ3 is pretty interesting for multiplayer. You have to make real choises to research an optional tech or not. And it is exactly the right tactical techs that are made optional (navigation for Magelans could be a strong wonder for IA naval warfare, MT and Chivalry of course and Ironclads. The ToE-Hooverdam path is also kind of optional as it does not lead towards flight but it is pretty darn powerfull. Lots of tactical choises with the tech tree. Good design job.
WackenOpenAir is offline   Reply With Quote