View Single Post
Old 29-10-2007, 12:16   #27
Shabbaman
Administrator

The last days I've been ill, so I had the time to play Beyond the sword. My second game. A good start, fast expansion: I couldn't do much else because my capital was unproductive, yet surrounded with floodplains, corn and fish. Miracle gro. So I got 5 very good cities, blocking the Celts. Founded confucianism in a city that was 1 tile next to the celtic border (tbh, it's on prince or something, lame). So. Good.

Obviously no copper. 15 hills, no copper. The hills I've scouted? No copper (although the celts have axes, so there must be some in their territory). Beeline for iron working, already got horseback so I was churning out horsemen. Guess what? No iron. Not even close! I found iron 15 tiles away to the NW, grabbed by Carthage, and 15 tiles to the E... 2 tiles south from the southern celtic border. I miss colonies! When I settled there, the celts attacked in 5 turns.

Blegh.

I like a challenge, but when you have to work really hard to get either bronze, iron or horses, why bother? I've ranted about it before, but I'll just do it again. It was the same thing that turned me off in civ3, and I fixed that by playing GOTM maps. Perhaps I'll have to give the scenario's a try. What I don't like about scenario's is that you don't play "civ", but "col" or something. It lacks the epic feel of civilization. I want to beat tanks with spearmen, and then win with a spaceship. Or something like that. I fear I'm done with civ.

The last few days it's been giving me a headache anyway