Thread: Facebook
View Single Post
Old 31-12-2014, 13:08   #35
Matrix
Administrator

Heh, I changed my FB URL, and now the link in the first post seems to forward to some fitness medicine company.

Indeed, it hasn't changed much. But when I posted this, I simply wasn't aware well enough about the big data thing.

I'm not leaving Facebook, by the way. I thought seen.is would be a good alternative, but it seems that's just as bad in terms of collecting and selling user data. But I think I'll create a Diaspora account in the near future.

"Everyone has their HD full with warez and copied music, but when someone uses your photo for advertising then suddenly the shit hits the fan. The irony."
These warez and music are made to be used and listen to. If you pay for the ware at some point or go to a concert, IMO you're not doing anything wrong. The personal photo's where meant to be shared with friends and not the entire world. Subtle but key difference.

The Pirate Party in Finland is using Facebook a lot too, which is more ironic, I would say. But their defense is that we simply want to reach as many people as possible, plus that our information and meetings may be known by anyone. By as many as possible even.

Lastly, Birgitta Jónsdóttir, the leader of the Icelandic Pirate Party: "Iceland should become for information what Switzerland is for money." I like that idea.