View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 00:10   #14
anarres
anarchist butcher

1) Depends on traits, but I agree Industrious is almost essential to make life easier. Religious is good too, but I think Industrious with a strong UU is better than Industrious and any other second trait. Egypt's UU is far too early on Deity for my tastes, and it requires nerves of steel and often a nice dollop of luck to make good use of it. I would prefer a civ with a Middle Age UU like the Chinese or the Ottomans. Persia can be made to work at a stretch, but you have to make do with a slow UU and a GA that is several techs too early.

2 - 6) Anything but Archipelago will be fine, island maps are a different type of game to most, generally involving long build-up periods to go and capture the nearest island.

7) I think deciding a victory type to go for will allow more focus on the game and where it is going. There is the opportunity for builder styles and warmonger styles to clash, and deciding the tone of the game now will help avoid that. I would be happy going for any victory type, but personally favour a military victory (Domination or Conquest).

20 turns at first then 10 sounds fine.