View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 10:33   #9
Kingreno

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akots

I also noticed you are mining the game between Torino and Roma (not sure it is a good decision). I would have probably moved Torino 1 tile SW and irrigate the game. Also, if Ravenna will be moved 1 tile SW, it can share two cows with Genoa and/or Rome and by building Granary in one of those cities(apparently Genoa), it might be possible to greatly boost the growth. Bologna could have been moved 1 tile NW to get the fishes in radius and to free a place for a fishermen village on one of the costal hills. Also, I don't see the reason for stopping settler production but it might be you have a better perspective here. However, with clearing marshes and irrigating two game tiles there, a city somewhere in between Torino, Venezia and Ravenna will be a nice worker factory.

In general, strating location seems extremely nice with lots and lots of food and shields which basically substantially diminishes the advantage of argi trait of erikk.
Mining the Game was a 50-50 choice. It is not near water so I'd have to irrigate the BG near Roma first. Since that needs mining soon for the SoZ that was not realy an option. I am usually very much for irrigating them but considdering as well that Torino has some plains who will give 3 food with RR there is enough growth.
As for the Torino Location, I think very much it is best where it is now because of the wider spread of cities I want and need. Also, upon Library construction it will get two BG on a river within the city radius. To finalise decisionmaking for it's location I planned an overlap with city number 10 but the babs beat me to it.
This a rather large Standard map and DCP is not a good option, that is why I only wanted 3 cities South(east) of Roma-Milano. For the Hills/Mountains/Fish/Wheat to be of optimal use in the Next age I need Bologna and Genoa to be powerhouses! Size 10+ with little corruption and high shields (20+).
I agree Akots that in general a "fishing village" Is ok to have. High commerce and little need for improvements (harbor/market/lib only since production is very low no need for rax/factories). However, on this map there will be plenty of room to settle (once wars start).
In general all your advise is very logical Akots but one thing I do not agree on and that is Ravenna sharing the Cow. Ravenna as placed here will have access to two Game , a fish in a lake, 4 hills, 3-5 Coastal tiles and 3 grass. I see firstly no need to move it closer to the Genoa-Cow, as sharing that will never happen because Genoa needs it very much for itself. Second, sharing the Roma-cow is a little more realistic but not outweighing the beneficial advantage the Cow has for Roma. Not to mention Moving Ravenna SW will make the area more dense again.
I guess it all has a lot to do with the bigger picture, which I did not mention in this thread at all. This is a wide map as said so that is the most important factor in placing the cities. It is something one does not always "know" when starting but as soon as I found out here I'd get at least 10 cities (wide) or 14 (close-placement) I chose 10 cities in a wider patern. It also has to do with being Commercial. I love the trait and it shows real power with large cities. All cities founded can grow past size 12!

Last remark, I was indeed not unhappy when I saw the Food-plethora here. The agri-one-extra-food is hardly that important. Being first in pop shows just that.