Thread: Africa 2006
View Single Post
Old 16-10-2007, 01:24   #13
Furiey
King

The 2004 trip I was on my own and went with a tour group, at least we only used the bus for major journeys, through Kruger, Zambia & Botswana it was smaller vehicles.

The 1987/88 trip was an overland trip by truck travelling down from London to Zimbabwe. It took 5 months and we camped out for all but a few special occasions. This was really good for meeting the local people, and much better being able to do so in the middle of nowhere where they didn't get tourists. In the towns, like everywhere else in the world everybody was out for whatever they could get. Even 20 years later the memories are so strong. In comparison the 2004 trip was just skimming the surface.

I did the white water rafting at Vic Falls in 88. Absolutely fantastic. 2 of the 4 boats overturned throwing everyone into the river, mine was completely submerged but surfaced upright much to my amazement as I remember being underwater hanging on for grim death trying to work out which way was up.

I fell in love with Africa back then, there are so many places in the world I want to visit, but I keep getting drawn back to Africa.