Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Not working. I guess the site is down.
Works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
So my idea is as follows: when you declare war, this will not be announced until the next turn, and you cannot attack immediately either. However, you will be the one moving your units the next turn before the attacked player can move. Turns will still last for 24 hours, but you have to first 12 hours to complete and the other will have the second 12 hours to complete.
I see what you are trying to do here. It makes sense to have some time to prepare after a declaration of war: in reality, troops aren't immediately at the door of your palace.

Or are they?

I have an idea related to this, so I'll just pitch this now before continuing with your post: in Europa Universalis, you can get a reputation penalty and a stability hit if you screw up the declaration of war. Having different options for declaring war adds depth to the game. So why not explore that? Yes, having to wait when war is declared makes some sense, if it's a very honorable war: "hello good sir, I will be invading your country after tea". It doesn't make sense for blitzkrieg though. Or consider the current hype, the hybrid war with "green men". That'll allow you to move certain units into enemy territory before DoW.

Anyway, the waiting period. The problem with pitboss is that sometimes you're not paying attention, and playing your turns just before the 24h period has passed. Once war is declared, you might want to pay more attention. So a grace period here is nice.

But then you need to consider whether you are doing sim turns or consecutive turns. With consecutive turns in your proposal, you might end up with changing the turn order. That is... weird. Sim turns is okay, but then you'll be at an disadvantage with players who aren't in the war.

Example: you declare on me, we wait twelve hours, but in the meantime that dirty bastard (I won't use a name, but we all know who we are talking about) places a city on that spot you were both racing to grab.

tl;dr good idea, but needs a lot of work and consider turn structure

Which leads me to this: the turn structure/player sequence is a key element of a game like this