Thread: Cavern News
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2019, 19:53   #43
Beorn
Disabled Vet

On the eve of all hell breaking loose in the pitboss, let's take a minute of solace to remind ourselves that we are friends, and human, no matter what genocidal atrocities we will play out in civ before it's over.

So I've been invalid since October 9th after a bad bike crash. Pulverised cheekbone, skull fractured around the right eye, traumatic brain injury (TBI) and short-term memory loss.

It's been a long recovery. The first month was all about healing the bones and then getting tons of rest. Brain, sinus and cheek were swelling against each other: constant headaches all the way up until Christmas. Serious difficulties regulating my sleep pattern. The keto diet helped with inflammation and an elaborate routine of self-massage, meditation and breathing exercises helped with sleeping.

Then for a few months during the winter, extreme fatigue (physical, emotional and psychological). 4 scheduled retreats into meditation x15-20 minutes just to get through each day. I had the emotional volatility of a 2-to-14 year old girl, depending on the weather and how well I slept.

Through April and May, I started taking walks again. Sometimes 1km, sometimes 200m to the mailbox and back. Whatever I could manage. Even that had me accumulating fatigue and, on bad days, considering to quit.

For the last month it's been seriously coming back. I ride my bike a little each day with my dog Cazzo attached to the seatpost. Energy and sleep has been easier and easier to manage, to the point where I barely need to keep a "regular" healthy lifestyle - no endless meditation, self-massage and dietary overhaul necessary. I'll try and keep the good habits though.

So here we are, summertime and the certainty that I'll be able to go back to work this Fall semester (part-time at first). Brain injuries are a bitch. Wear your bike helmets. I dare not imagine what it would've been like had I not worn my helmet.

No need for pity or concern - though I appreciate the thoughts and prayers, save all of them for ProPain. He'll need all of your moral support once the CDZ continent turns its attention to the Finn continent. See you soon

Bonus dick pic:

Such a good boy.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote