Thread: Cavern News
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 22:06   #55
Beorn
Disabled Vet

It is once again the eve of all hell breaking loose in the pitboss, and my summer vacations started, so here's an update.

The brain injury is healing. Slowly but surely. I felt great last August and started off with a 75% workload, which I had no problem doing. For a while. What got me is the accumulation of fatigue week-to-week. So eventually, before imploding, I downgraded to 40% workload (1 large class of linear algebra) which went fine.

Then for the winter, 2 small classes of stats gave me 50% workload and that was perfect. I could resume doing a bit of sport each week: yoga, snowshoe trails with the dog, a bit of jogging and biking. I'll take at least 60% next Fall.

Then we had this thing with the virus I guess you heard.

Not to bemoan my situation — nobody I know has caught it and my job + paycheck is secure — but it was really, really hard on my nerves. The constant little itch of danger at the back of my head was a drain I REALLY didn't need. And the switch to videoconference teaching is simply awful. The entire upheaval of how we work, and the improvised shitshow that was our education ministry's lack of leadership, made it even harder. For a few days around the end, my nerves were so fried that I had trouble standing up for more than a minute.

It especially breaks my heart that ~25% of my students didn't have the technological tools and internet access, or a serene enough family life, or just the $, to keep up with school from home. I'm so glad the semester is over.

I'm curious as to how it affected you guys, what got scrambled in your lives, how you had to adapt. Here's hoping everything gets back in order, more or less, for everyone

Bonus dick pic:

Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote