View Single Post
Old 14-09-2018, 17:31   #15
Matrix
Administrator

I couldn't reach sullla's site then, but now I can. That's a lot of letters over there, but I'll read it.

About turns and war then. What I first had in mind was this: when you declare war, this isn't announced until the end of the 24 hours and you cannot move your units into enemy territory yet. After the 24 hours, it's the same turn, but then you can move and attack, and are given 12 hours extra to do so. This has two downsides however: any turn in which someone declares war lasts 12 hours longer, and you basically forfeited any units you already had moved during regular play time.

My goal is to keep turn order a holy principle in this. It might not be realistic, but this is purely out of fair play in a gaming perspective. This will be, after all, a turn-based game. So far I can't see a better situation than what I already mentioned.

Shabba's remark about the green men is a very interesting one! Perhaps it should be possible to move your units into enemy territory without declaring war. When you do that, you rish that the other will declare war on you instead, allowing that player to move first the next turn. The bad reputation, as far as AI is concerned, would be reversed in that case. Thus, declaring war determines who gets to move first the next turn, and allow units to attack. Units that are on the same tile (if allowed; I think it will be) fight out immediately who gets to stay on the spot.

In any case, it's just plain silly that units just *poof* move outside of enemy territory once war is declared, like what happens in Civ4 when you declare war on someone with whom you have an open border agreement.