View Single Post
Old 17-01-2020, 13:52   #10
Matrix
Administrator

Cool

Defense beats offense.
Offense beats development.
Development beats defense.

That's the triangle that exists in many strategy games and civilization is no exception. I've born those words of wisdom in mind ever since a friend and game reviewer uttered them to me. Beorn has been attacking me and I was defending. That meant I had the upper hand. Now he's driven out.

First I killed his axemen in the west, while he parked the four axemen on the forest hill west of my northern iron source after pillaging it. Being fortified for five turns, that amounted to 10.5 hitpoints (or 13 if I'd attack with melee units). But I weakened them with two catapults and then destroyed them with three chariots - Beorn mentioned in the WhatsApp group chat that there is only one source of horses on the whole continent, which I didn't know yet - and one axemen. But I was fortunate, I should admit. Two battles had about 66% chance of success and the other two about 50%. That meant I had 11% chance of no unit loss. I had enough spare units to finish the job, but now I'm standing solid.

However, while this battle is won, the war isn't over. I invented metal casting in the mean time, so now I'm rushing some trireme's to make sure he cannot make landfall anymore.

Beorn built the temple of Solomon and his economy is not so far off from mine. I now dare to start building the mausoleum of Maussollos and will build the national epic straight after. The other cities, stained and tormented by slavery, will have to do the rest of the job. In six turns I'll probably get my second great scientist, which should give me another 15.75 science output extra; my total is about 70 now. In case of another great leader, I'll use it for my first golden age as soon as the mausoleum is completed.