View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 15:09   #26
SilentConfusion
Chieftain

I know nobody has tried this challenge since 2008. I was looking for something to do and I like challenges like this in general. Also I don't think I've ever made a level 10 unit even with a GG, so why not try. Since nobody had completed it at Emperor difficulty and because it's the closest to the difficulty level I normally play I took the Wise Guy save and played it through.

Completed on first play-through. Got a level 10 Cho-Ko-Nu in the year 1660 AD. I think playing on an easier diff level might make for a later time.

I scouted with my initial archers, trying to meet everyone so they'd declare war on me. They won't send troops if they're not at war. They might not send troops anyway if they're far away, but it didn't hurt.

I had an issue of my defensive positions being too strong so that units would approach but when I moved onto the Fort tile to defend they would leave because of their odds. I took to standing outside the fort, and eventually I chopped that forest to give myself less defense.

I used a Cho-Ko-Nu unit with Drill IV to minimize damage taken when in battle. Defending gets you a lot more XP just because you can defend against any number of units but you can only attack 1. I usually used a catapult to weaken the attacking forces, then when they'd attack my CKN killed them all and a Medic healed him quickly. All of my GGs I settled in my capitol so that by the end my troops were coming out with 15 or 17 XP.

I built a ton of wonders and every GP after the first GS who built an Academy was settled.

Here's a picture of my city at the end and a picture of my Level 10 Cho-Ko-Nu.

SilentConfusion is offline   Reply With Quote