Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk
In fact from a metaphysical state the most important questions include:
Where did we come from?
Where are we going?
How do I handle death?
Is there an afterlife?

In the purpose of education, both sides should be presented such that people can draw their own conclusions.

My best statement in this matter comes from John Milton's "Areopagitica": "Do not restrict the writing and teachings, for all that you need to do is present the truth, and it shall triumph"
Your metaphysical questions are somewhat incorrectly asked. One cannot speak there as "we" and has to change it to "I" since generalization is not very appropriate. And if one answers to these question from scientific POV, the answers would be true but ridiculous. For example:
1. Where did I come from? - From my parents and from genetic recombination of their genetic material and from the environment which influenced my development.
2. Where am I going? - I am going to die in the end.
3. How do I handle death? - You cannot change the outcome, so try to get comfortable with it.
4. Is there and afterlife? - Yes, you become dust and this dust belongs to this world. But this dust will be dead, so no, there is no afterlife.

I am not an atheist but neither am I a very religious person.

Regarding the purpose of education, imo, its main purpose is to hammer into child's head something about what is wrong and what is right. If you teach something wrong without actually telling that this is wrong, this mean that you don't teach well. Nobody is teaching that earth is flat nowdays. However, children are told that long time ago people thought that earth is flat but this is wrong since it is round.

IMO, POV of Milton is quite naive to the very least.