Thread: We need to move
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 13:18   #22
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akots View Post
Please don't put no ads or some gaming tag or I won't be able to read and post from work.
I forgot to mention that in my OP but CDZ will remain add free as it always has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
See, that's the kind of requests that's useful.

Propain, apparently hosting is dependent on how much disk space and how much traffic the site needs. Could you give this information?
I certainly can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
At the moment we're using up 16GB of serverspace (yes, that's quite a bit indeed) although I suspect we can prune in old uploads and reduce that with 25%-50% or so. Still I suspect we'll be pushing the 10GB limit still and should we host at my regular ISP we'd be facing a € 70,- a month (excluding VAT). I think cheaper options are available and hope you can help.
At this point in time traffic amount is irrelevant for us. Since we're just the happy few that are left, we don't use up that much bandwidth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post

Another thing that pops up every time I think about money is this. I appreciate how we have a nice bunch of people, but it seems like CDZ has turned into our private Facebook. Let me get this straight: to me, that's worth paying for But besides that, we should still work at getting new people here, and generate some gaming related content to do so. Like (the unfortately AWOL) Markstar wrote, the ladder was something that generated traffic. Perhaps we should reinstate that, and choose some forum software that could make that work.
I agree with this and I would like to think about how to go ahead with CDZ. For me the site isn't so much about Civ anymore, I consider it our own little nook of the internet where we, a bunch of people who love strategy games and civ especially, talk games and whatever OT comes to mind.

I've been thinking what the beauty of CDZ has been in our civ3 days and I think CDZ worked because
1) we had nice people who were active players. It was easy to find a game, fair maps were made, strat discussions where good.
2) you could get your own forum and use that for spoilers and whatever else you liked

Now I really wouldn't mind reinstating the ladder. With modern CMS's I think you could do that a lot easier than before even. But I wonder if that will work. For now I don't see many of the regulars participating very actively and I think you need some running games to attract more people. However when a few people would like this I will make the ladder a priority.

The private fora and spoilers were getting traffic as well iirc, and there's something that's even easier to start again. Also this doesn't have to be Civ exclusive, which might make it easier to pick it up again.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote