View Single Post
Old 24-05-2007, 16:09   #4
Whomp
King

Interesting stuff.
However it's still been a lousy investment versus Whole Foods and Sears so I'm glad I don't own it. I do own Sears and have traded Whole Foods and I may buy some more Whole Foods soon.

Wal Mart was $69/share in 1999 and $46.50 today whereas Whole Foods was $11.60 and today sits at $40/share (but down quite a bit over the last year and a half). Sears was taken over by Eddie Lampert (a modern day Warren Buffet imo) has taken the shares from $16/share in May of 2003 to $180/share today.

I think they're really trying to clean up their image by promoting fluroescents and that's good. For you rural folk it seems to be a good choice and has had a reasonably neutral impact on the communities they've gone into. I'm not sure they'll be able to grow sales in the cities the same way because of choice. Target seems to be able to compete and most city folk prefer the stores.

What will be interesting to watch is their venture in India. India is a fragmented market with lots of small businesses. They have a good partner and the question is how much they rile up the locals.

Just a fyi...Wal Mart has never been as dominant in the US as A&P was at their peak.