View Single Post
Old 18-03-2007, 22:51   #41
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

The list of things I need Windoze for is getting shorter and shorter . It basically comes down to:
- Checking old e-mails but the last time I needed to was about 4 months ago. I could convert the Outlook mail to something in Linux but the need isn't to pressing.
- A race sim (F1 Challenge 99-02) some of my friends like to play when they are over here. It runs on Ubuntu / Cedega but less nice. As you can see in the pic I'm working on that issue.
- Some XP support for family/friends but I've got an XP notebook as well which could do the job.
- CDZ get-togethers until I'm 100% sure it is a no-hassle job to put the box in a LAN game no matter what network etc.
- Couple of smaller things related to XP stuff that's just easier in XP but can also be done in Linux if I put some time in it.

138.48KB

From topleft clockwise some games:
- Racer. A free (as in beer) race simulation that runs on Linux, XP and Mac iirc. There is a huge community making tracks and cars. Pic shows a Golf R32 (comes close to my own car) on the legendary Nordschleife in Germany. Good thing to shake of adrenaline.
- Wolfenstein 3D. A 3D (what's in a name) fps that put the genre on the map. Hell, I maybe spent as much time playing this game as I did playing Civ I. It runs in Dosbox another sourceforge project.
- Civ IV of course, PBEM with krys I play from Linux.
- Rogue. The first game ever to use random map generation so imo some of it at least is a predecessor to civ. It still is very difficult to complete a game despite it is 25 years old!