Default Spoiler: WOA vs Killercane

Killercane and I started a civ3 PBEM.
Rik Meleet made us a map with the following conditions:
Wacken Iroquois
Killercane Sumerians
no AI
Emperor
continents reachable by navigation.

There has been some miscommunication and i ended up with the iroqs while i cannot reach my enemy. So the civ is not optimal (Sumerians are definately optimal for this setting) but who cares, i will overcome that little disadvantage right ?
And sorry, i guess this is gonna be a simcity report for the first 200 turns.

My next mistake came in the first turn. We started on a gold hill, with some food boni nearby. Not realising the importance of commerce this game (i'm used to it being worthless when playing against AI and forgot to actually think) i moved from the hill rather than settling on top of it.

53.78KB

KC did settle on the hill, but he does not have alphabet as a starting tech. It does give him 2 extra gold per turn, and he has to pay about 87 beakers for alphabet. So initially, i think i can overcome this problem and beat him to Philosophy. I set research to Writing and start irrigating all those good things.

As some may know, i live and die by the food per turn principle. Since both new cities and a granary provide me 5 more fpt but a settler is faster build, i start building 2 settlers right away.
And so about 16 turns later, my empire looked like this:

77.68KB

Since i see a lot of river around my capital, new cities will produce 3fpt. Now the choise between a quick settler for 3fpt or the somewhat expensive granary is starting to get closer, but i still choose for the settlers rather than the granary. So i build another batch of settlers.

Meanwhile, F11 and msn information tell me that KC has only build 3 towns, connected luxuries and is probably building granaries. our gnp's are alternating, but with his connected luxuries he probably isn't needing a lot of the entertainment slider. We end up researching Writing in the same turn, so i gave up hope on winning for philosophy and start researching some cheap 4 turn techs. Better to keep researching the cheap things now so that i don't have to waste expensive time on those when my research is stronger. And KC will make thing cheaper for me to research.
So by turn 33, my i have build a bunch of cities at the rivers and also added one non river city close to a luxury.

198.67KB

I now decided it was time for granaries. I decided to build 3 granaries, but no granary in my capital. After agreeing with HC that palace flipping is alowed, i am planning ahead to build my FP in Allegheny and flip my palace elsewhere as i hate building my FP in a corrupt town. KC told me he had only just made his 4th town but had his granaries being finished around this time when i am just starting mine. But i have many more towns now so it isn't too bad. Research is going Ceremonial(4), Bronze working(4), warrior code(4) and i got mysticysm from a hut. My interpretations of F11 tell me that i have over 15 more total food per turn by the time he has finished his granaries.

KC chose literature for free technology. I keep myself busy with cheap 4 turn techs while he researches code of laws and maks it cheap for me. So research was continued: Philosophy(4), The Wheel(4), Masonry.

It is now turn 45, and this is how far we played, so the rest of the report is gonna be at PBEM speed.

203.56KB
WackenOpenAir is offline   Reply With Quote