View Single Post
Old 24-09-2016, 09:55   #28
Shabbaman
Administrator

While civ5 is in some way enjoyable, it feels like the raped body of civ3. It looks like it (if you're blind), feels like it (unless you bought a new mouse in the mean time) but doesn't play like it. No, actually I really liked civ5, but there was little challenge playing it. In that aspect, it was unlike any previous civ. Playing civ5 at the highest difficulty was about as challenging to me as playing Cities Skylines is. Civ3 otoh was actually quite difficult.

Maybe civ5 is fun in multiplayer, I don't know. But while the mere existence of this site shows that multiplayer in civ is actually a thing, to it's core it has always been a single player game to me. Even in multiplayer you play the AI, and with it's city states (a concept completely unsuited for multiplayer) that's even true for civ5 in all-human games.

But Cities Skylines is an enjoyable game, so why not civ6? It might not be the game, it might be me that has changed. Playing civ5 continuously reminded me of what civ5 isn't. Finding exploits in civ3 was fun, but in civ5 it only felt as finding another design flaw.

The funny thing is that writing this rant actually makes me want to play civ5 right now. Heh.