View Single Post
Old 20-10-2008, 16:00   #10
Matrix
Administrator

Yes, your start there was awful, so that's not good. But my point is: no one has even chances in a game, unless the game is symmetric to everyone. And the more even we try to make 'em, the more the actual differences draw attention. You'd better be thrown on a random map and make of it what you can, provided that you actually have a chance to make anything out of it (which you couldn't in Texas Hold 'em).

But I feel I fall into repetition, so I should shut up now. Mauer, could you please generate a new map and see to it that we all have at least proper room for expansion?

One final note I really would like to stress is this: imagine being trapped on a peninsula with only one neighbour, with very little space for you and an enormous hinterland for your neighbour. The result, without diplomacy, will be that you have no option than go for an early elimination of your opponent, while your opponent might not find the need to do so, cos he'll reckon his future will be more prosporous when developing. In effect, your opponent gets killed and you end up with the lot. Of course reality is not that simple and diplomacy and good forseight of your opponent might alter the outcome. However, as long as the starting position and surroundings aren't crap, I'm convinced skill will make the difference.