Thread: Darkness' fish
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 19:19   #5
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Is that a Neon Tetra?

Used to have tropical fish when I was younger.

Used to have a tank with various different kinds of tetras and a couple of male pink kissing gouramis.

Also various bottom feeders to keep the place clean, best of which was a (and I looked up the spelling) Plecostomus which grew to about 25cms!

Red tailed sharks finished off the mix.

Apart from the obligatory Angel fish []

Nice to see nice environmentally unfriendly fish still being kept around the world.

Melifluous
No, Meli. Neon tetra's are far smaller (about 3-4 cm). They're grey with a blue and a red horizontal bar. The male Blue Neon you see in the top picture is approaching 10 cm.

Gourami's and Tetra's are very nice fish but they wouldn't survive long in my main tank (wrong pH of the water and my current fish would likely kill them, as they are a bit aggressive). I've got a 3 cm Lamprologus ocellatus female that always tries to attack my hand when I clean the tank. Really fun. She cant bite very hard, but she knows exactly where to go: The soft flesh between the fingers!

@Killer: The current count is that there are slightly over 300 fish endemic to Lake Tanganyika, but new species are found every once in a while.

@KR: Nice cat!
Yes, it's really cool to have them breed! For this species the size of a spawn is usually between 5-10, so there's enough room (for now). I can always buy another tank.
Maybe my girlfriend wouldn't like that. She likes cats more...

I'll be removing the female to a breeding tank though as there are fry predators in this tank also. Catfish of course! These are my favourite type of fish. Often extremely beautiful and very useful as well (they clean up the trash).
I'll try to take a picture of my rare South American catfish sometime. He's a member of a species that hasn't even been named yet, he's only got an indexing number. He's in my other tank and he rules it.