View Single Post
Old 22-01-2004, 23:11   #2
Kingreno

DELETED SOME SPAM, NO OFFENCE MEANT, THIS IS A CLEAN SID THREAD!

Skyfish and me agreed some additional rules in this game. In general their goal is to protect this game from ending in a SID-AI rush nightmare while we are MA-ing eachother to oblivion.

Now, how to beat Sid?

There's a question. Lets begin with the beginning. This is an archipelago map where the human start is good, the AI average and there is a very high possibility that I (and Sky) am alone with one AI on an island. The AI will off course NOT be on my doorstep...
Based on this information and some SP experience on SiD I chose the Aztecs. Knowing we could not choose seafaring, the Aztecs have several traits I deem highly favorable. First, Agricultural is very welcome, it offers some compensation for the mad AI growthrate and will allow larger cities to get specialsts and still grow. Second, there is only one military option to be able to fight the wicked number of units the AI has, and will inevetably start producing: I need armies. Many armies. For that, I chose militaristic.
Now the UU. Well, the Jag is the only unit actually downgraded from PTW, but still, it is IMO for this game a very good unit. As suspected and shown later, a very quick map of the area to place cities well and more importantly a way to block the AI early. Jags suite that purpose very well.
Lets talk future. there is no way I will outresearch the AI. the AI's will have more techs then me, but they will not get all techs the same time, more important then ever I will need to be a techbroker, as I know very well, sky will be as well.
Tacticly, at some point I will have to kick my neighbour off the island. If that succeeds, well, lets just stick with buildup.

My opening consisted of founding two very close cities while a jag mapped the region. Next, I will start two/three setler facts whille the rest will build chariots/horses/spears/archers and later catapults. Again, militaristic will help on the rax!
The techpath is therefore maybe surprising as I first want the wheel![], there is a tiny chance my neighbour has not yet got that, while there are several commercial civs in the game so alpha might be tradable. If not, it will have to fit in somewhere.

Now, after reading: Maps:

49.38KB

As can be seen in the SE lies the brave capitol. It has a lot of (semi)productive spots nearby. I will have to calculate very carefully what will be the best placement. I am very much leaning to tight building, as it has been succesfull in the past (on deity...)

To the west a mountainous Isthmus can be seen! As expected there is more land behind it and jags are now exploring!

27.4KB

City 6 or 7 will be founded near this site. walls, temple, rax there asap...The mountains will provide a great slaughterbase when I go to war. Our people are already talking about the pass of leaders.

Techs. Every nation has its goals. Techs will be: The Wheel-Alpha-HBR-Bronze-Iron. By this time I hope to have traded for CB at least...