View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 21:31   #35
sz_matyas

Bielema does have good charisma and is generally a great coach (plus having Barry as the athletic director with an office nearby doesn't hurt). One of the big traditions though is that we recruit heavily in state and tend to give preference to them in playing time. In general they get the best players in WI to come, but it somewhat discourages out of state players (though we do get some from MN and IL as they are considered almost in WI).

As far as an option offense, Wisconsin seems to focus more on powerful linemen than the athletic lean line you want to play the option. I think with some different training they could switch over to that style, but it would upset a lot of backers who enjoy the power rushing game. Since they just recently remodeled Camp Randal, these backers have a bit more influence than normal (or so it seems, given how some incidents with players are being handled).

The other big hangup on an option offense, is P.J. Hill doesn't have the speed to consistently hit the corner on the option. Instead he focuses on powering through the middle for the classic 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It works well, but a short controlled passing game to complement it would be a better idea in my view (rather than erratic but home run type QBs they currently favor).