View Single Post
Old 27-09-2016, 10:36   #32
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
A different era.
Not really. Criteria do not change. The game has to look good, work well, and be interesting with addictive gameplay. It should not be too tedious or grindy and player must not lose track of what was going on in previous sessions. Some publishers make short action games these days. Like, 5 hours total gameplay time. In RPGs, usually, there is little problem of keeping track. And to be honest, Civ2 was published around 1996 and should be compared to something published around the same time. I'm talking maybe Baldur's Gate and Fallout 2. Neither of these are as primitive and both are way more enjoyable and have higher replayability. Which is surprising because Civ should have more replay value. Well, even Warcraft 2 is better and it was made in 1995.

Civ5 is just a laggy, buggy, glitchy mess of a game that neither looks good nor has enjoyable gameplay process. I'll take Fall from Heaven or even vanilla BTS anytime every time over it. It does not have good modding tools and does not have fixed assets mode. Lack of it means no real competitive play or real cheat-proof mutiplayer. Succession game are essentially impossible and not very popular because there is so much meaningless BS going on that players need to write up pages and pages of text just to describe what was going on during their sessions. It is hard to concentrate and I completely lose track of what I was doing two days ago and need half an hour just to force myself to continue the session. Endless aiming-clicking is just icing on the cake that kills it. Any modern phone runs more resource-consuming games 5-10 times faster due to sloppy programming and inadequate graphics. They should consider making it for android so I at least can use my finger instead of mouse.

I think I'm getting old and starting to rave and rant too much. But really, there are a lot of better, more manageable, and more realistic online MM strategies than that Civ 5 bs.