Thread: Oil spills suck
View Single Post
Old 31-07-2010, 02:44   #1
Robboo
King

Default Oil spills suck

As some of you may have heard some Brits spilled a little bit of oil in my backyard.

What you didn't know is that from last September to March of this year I was the oil spill liason for my agency. We had a reorganization and that job went to someone as 100% of their duties. With this spill they brought my boss and myself back in to help.

My duties primarily are part of the NRDA team for Fisheries in LA. NRDA is natural resource damage assessment. Its a law that is part of federal legislation governing how oil spills are "paid for" by the companies. Our job is find out how much damage has been done and then work with the responsible parties to build a restoration project to restore the loss natural resources. My duties include developing work plans to find out how to study the losses and determine the impacts. Along with providing technical expertise on other developed work plans. I was also working in response helping our field staff report oil, hurt birds and directing them to survey for fish kills.

For the first 87 days, I had 1 complete day off....July 4th. Since then things have slowed down a bit for me with the addition of new staff and now my weekends are free after a 50 to 60 hour work week.

I have some photos and will be posting them as I have time. I have some nice aerials photos of an early May flight I took. Things are as bad as they say in some cases and not in others. I am no way an expert on all things involved in this and some things I cant talk about...publicly( ie on a forum).

I will try to check back and answer questions or give updates depending on my time.
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote