Thread: Civ 6 is free
View Single Post
Old 18-07-2020, 16:23   #10
Shabbaman
Administrator

Okay, over the last few weeks I played a game of civ6. I had a poor spot as Gilgamesh on the tundra (that turned out okay after I built the Kremlin to give tundra tiles a bonus), but my war cart (alternate warrior or something) was good enough to let me capture the two English cities that did have a good spot. After that it was easy.

By the time I got into the renaissance I noticed my progress was slowing (or the AI was catching up), and I recalled that civics are unlocked by culture. Other useful bits the annoying tutorial popups forgot to tell me is that religious units apparently heal next to your holy site. OK.

Figuring that stuff out was somewhat amusing, but I was incredibly annoyed by the poor strategic resource placement. I had to grab a poor tundra island to secure my third oil. I had to grab a poor desert spot on another continent to secure my first aluminium. I found a second one after razing a city (not the smartest of moves any way you look at it, but I did it to free tiles for my neighbouring city... that got all the good tiles but the alu). In civ6 there's this thing that strategic resources are used as upkeep, so my usual bomber endgame wasn't possible due to a lack of aluminium. Terrible.

But not as terrible as flood barriers. There's global warming that actually requires action, but it's not very polished. Carbon capture comes very late in the civic tree, by the time you're working on your victory. I didn't bother to check what it does. But I did get to build flood barriers early. As I was bored I had already build them in most of my cities, and in hindsight there had been a popup to notify me of the climate screen where you get to see how many turns until the sea level rises. But I didn't pay attention and was surprised by the first sea level rise... that flooded the oil on my tundra oil island. So I did what every good civ player does: save scumming. Actually, save scumming multiple times, because when I first reloaded to ten turns earlier, I was surprised to see after eight turns that the sea level rise accelerated (something we'll probably see in the coming decades, but hey). This was somewhat annoying. What was even more annoying is that you can't rush the barrier with gold, and that the cost of the barrier increases when the sea level rises. So if you start too late, you'll never be able to finish it. I've seen AI cities been submerged in this game, which is admittedly pretty cool and something I haven't seen in a civ game before. But if your opponent is settling near the sea, burning fossil fuels seems like a valid strategy.

Eventually I got a scientific victory after 40 hours. I think I could've finished sooner or with a stronger position, as the AI didn't prove as strong as I thought when they attacked a city state I was suzerain of (I mean, how dumb can you be?). I had nukes and strategic bombers, they had, well, my neighbour and longtime ally who somehow found it necessary to side with his other ally when I defended my vassal, he had modern armor. Having armor without anti-air units next to it is apparently a bad idea. As I was waiting for the spaceship to arrive I was mildly amused by it, but apparently my threat assessment is bad. On par for the AI.