View Single Post
Old 16-12-2003, 12:39   #244
Ribannah

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by col

I dont see how it is cheating. Exploitive yes. There have been many instances where players discovered something that gave an edge until it was generally known. RCP for example.

a) there is no rule against it and Ainwood has said he doesnt intend to outlaw it.
Whether it's allowed or not doesn't define if it is or isn't cheating IMHO. Just like playing short sessions isn't cheating because Cracker says you shouldn't, abusing the end-of-turn report bug isn't not cheating because it isn't forbidden.

We, the players, are the judge of what constitutes cheating and what doesn't. Then when we say the tournament allows cheating, we decide whether we still want to play.

In fact, there are games where cheating is an important part of gameplay, like Cluedo. I don't want Civ to be such a game, however. It's not designed to be one and it takes all the fun away. When I read that even the SirPlebs feel that they have to use every available exploit to stay competitive, that makes me very sad.

Quote:
quote:At present it is related to the number of cities you have. It is not entirely random.
That is true, if your empire is larger the non-random part of the anarchy period is shorter. Personally I think it should be the other way around: it's historically easier to change the type of government in a small empire.