View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 10:33   #13
Kingreno

Ok, new tactic: Don't own anything the AI does not have. Including techs, money and resources. It works!

I finaly was able to settle an acceptable peacetreaty with both Rome and the Mongols. Mongols landed units in my core and I had to kill them off first and in a rare moment where there were no enmies in my area I went to talk with them. I gave both Rome and Mongols Currency for peace. I then traded both Monarchy and gpt for a lux. They went to polite, both.
I myself had revolted to Republic and that was needed, my research 100% at Feudalism.
This also meant that all are now in the next age! This happened when brave Dutchmen discovered Currency first in the world! They sold it arround and several turns later Beam followed to the next age as well. Beam, being the only scientific civ in the world now had a monopoly on Engineering, which he decided to keep instead of trading to the AI! ooooopps.

A few turns was all it took for Egypt and the Americans to demand this tech from him and he refused, to both.

62.65KB

In the turn after that the Iro's also demanded Engineering and he gave in! Unbelievable from my PoV but I guess he did not need MW's at his party too. I was estatic OTOH as I grabbed a monopoly on Feudalism that turn!
This gave me a great opportunity to bleed the AI dry (as keeping it will not be allowed due to lack of military), not to mention beginning trade with the Iroquois gave me Engineering too! A tech most civs lack as well. I trade for cash and luxes:

56.21KB

6.23KB

A healthy financial situation:

16.68KB

I used a large sum of cash (700 gold or so) to rush four Libraries and a Marketplace. I plan on rushing more as a build-up of cash is simply not an option due to the lack of military. This, sadly, will not improve soon as I willnot get iron. For a very long time. This in turn explains my research on invention as that allows me to finaly build a dreamunit: the longbowman. Better then nothing but Horsemen just ain't gonna prove good enough if the AI land again, though I will build some of those too. After Invention I will go for GP. Muskets. yay. If I have saltpeter.......
I will acquire the upperhalve of the techtree by trading. My advisor says I am advanced.

4.45KB

My lands and beams land to compare. Massive difference in citysize!!

49.06KB

and Beam:

40.61KB

Though not a very clear view of his land, I guess the difference is seen easily. This results in the following stats:

17.98KB

Two adjustments: MFG is low because the Hague and A'dam are using lot of Coasttiles this turn. I reach place 3 in productive mode. This does bring GNP down to 3rd as well.
Noteworthy are population and landarea, 1st and last! Nice combo. This for some reason also results in the last place in military service, but that was expected []:

12.76KB

I do have 3 Roman slaves as well!!

Finaly to finish this spoiler:

8.64KB

I'll keep you posted!