Thread: Africa 2006
View Single Post
Old 14-10-2007, 20:09   #5
Furiey
King

I went to southern Africa in 2004, did some travelling in South Africa, then Victoria Falls/Zambia then Chobe/Botswana. One of the things I particularly remember are the Elephants crossing the river. Swimming across playing as they went, wresting and ducking each other. Sometimes only a trunk would be visible. It really is worth seeing them, and watching from the boat in Chobe gave a different outlook to travelling by truck. Walking is also worth doing, again you get a different viewpoint on the wildlife.

Victoria Falls was nearly dry when I was there in 2004, with only a trickle running over on the Zambian side, and only the Zimbabwe end had any real water. I could walk across the bed of the river! This was a stark contrast to my previous visit in 1988 when the river was in full flood and the falls raged from one end to the other and the spay made the surrounding countryside feel like rainforest.

Not been to Okavango delta though, it was so flooded it was inaccessable on my 1987/88 trip and the last trip didn't unfortunately go there.