View Single Post
Old 20-09-2005, 16:03   #16
romeothemonk
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

You bunch of engine-crazy americans.Re

Remember the last oil crisis? Why havent you got rid of those fuel wasters and started buying cheap-on-fuel japanese cars? Honda or Toyota over GM and Ford
1) Because with the stuff that we haul around, a pickup truck makes very good sense. I helped 11 people move with the pickup I had access to, thus saving lots of money for everyone.
2) We Americans are good at Physics. Before you laugh, we know that there are going to be countless 18 wheelers on the Road, along with government officials driving Suburbans and Excursions. A 7,000 lb American Steel Monster gives a survivability of nearly 100%, while the imports survivability is directly linked to pure luck.
3) The foreign cars are built for 5'1" asian guys that weigh around 140 lbs tops. Americans are the largest people on the planet, we want cars that fit us. Detroit provides that.
4) Japan has yet to make a car that looks good and operates well in the American Northern Midwest. Cars that do this well (Mercedes, I know that this is a Euro car) are very pricey, and don't get much better mileage.
5) The ladies dig a pickup man.
6) Americans are stubborn. Stubborn to the point that we think we singlehandedly whipped the Axis in WW2. (The English did a lot of the heavy lifting)
7) Americans really suck at personal finance. Why do you think that credit cards with 20% interest rates are so popular?
8) For me personally, my dream car is a 1973 Cadillac El Dorado Convertible with the Caddy 500 in it, while the wife wants a 69 Dodge Charger. Not exactly efficient either one, but they can really go fast.