View Single Post
Old 13-03-2004, 12:31   #6
Kingreno

Ok, here is how it began:

We find ourselves, sons of Baal-Hammon of Phoenicia, on the beach of our new Lands:

22.41KB

Our workers find cattle nearby and therefor start works to get that tile irrigated the moment our borders expand, meaning we will not mine the Sugar yet.
From Intel we hear that we are on an archipelago map, on Deity Level, with 6 AI opponents and one human opponent, the respected Anarres, playing the Byzantines. As can be seen, we picked teh Industrious and Seafaring Carthaginians ourselves.
This meant, that we start with Alphabet and Masonry. Off course the mear rumors of nearby cattle led to a very certain pursue of Pottery, with writing after that.
Our scouting warrior soon found a second cattle to the north and no efforts were spared to get a settler out of carthage as soon as possible. The city of Utica was founded and would have the sole mission of becoming a 4-turn-setler factory. It was barely possible to do this since Utica suffered from one corrupted shield! But nevertheless, it could be done.

66.82KB

As can be seen, the current layout woth two irrigated cows allows for Utica to trade a cow for a irrigated plaiens every other turn, so that Carthage itself can still benefit from it when Utica does not need it.
Also, another problem arrises. The mountain range South of Carthage means that we cannot get fresh water in the Plains area there, thus making it far less productive. A city must be founded on these hills somewhere to get the water through.
Furthermore, Carthage was to build Curaghs mainly, meaning no granary and also no building costs. The scouting thusfar shows that Utica's setlers, with some extra's from other cities will be more then enough to fill the entire island.
Yes, we are alone. We have found the English recently but they are one square beyong even galleyrange and thus are no threath to our island. Likewise, and invasion of England will probably be delayed till Astronomy.
The English are very advanced already, leading us by 6 techs. We pursue literature after writing and in our third city leptis magna, a Palace was started the very second is was founded.

NOOOOOOOOO!
Barbs, while we were supposed to play "no-barbs".
I manage to rescua one setler by luring the barb towards a worker (who dies). I am NOT prepared at all for this.
Anarres and I agree to play on however.

16.57KB

Somewhere along the line, I meet Anarres!! He has explored the whole world while my people seem to celebrate "national-Curragh-Sinking-Day" just a bit too often
He is very advaced as well, though he lacks literature! We trade Lit for MM and give in 50 gold in the process. England then pays me the wheel, BW, WC and CB for lit.
Anarres knows England and by selling lit around I am risking the fact that someone else will build teh Glib, but off course, not selling would mean Anarres selling it around.
On the bright side, I find the Netherlands a turn later and after making an embassy with Anarres I notice they ar at war!!! That in turn means, that i can sell Literature to teh Dutch, getting me Math and Philo and 200 gold.
My first galley sails north some turns later and finds teh French and The Germans on turn 90. After Literature and the mentioned trades I went full ahead to curency adn upon finding the two new players, I notice they are Monarchy! Howver, the suckers lack writing!!!
I sell them a lot, getting me IW, Poly and even Monarchy. The latter not for teh gov, but is the Great Library fails, I can at least switch to the Gradens.
A few turns later I get Currency and France pays: 460 g + 40 gpt for it!!! wtf!!!

52.31KB

Right now, we are at turn 107 and as could be seen we have build the Glib, forcing Anarres to gift his precious techs away and getting me into a 7 turn anarchy to Republic. He himself is also a republic with a bery short anarchy!
The Island:

100.25KB

And the Minimap:

5.09KB