View Single Post
Old 18-09-2006, 04:46   #8
killercane
Prince

I dont know if I agree. 6 attack is the best for some time; 5 infantry to every 10 cavalry leaves only a 15% chance of victory for the Island Defender, 4 to 10 ratio makes it almost even odds, slightly in the infantry favor at 45%. Those odds get better once you add more defenders to the stack. It will be easy to gather up 80 infantry to take on 200 cavs as he is not much of an artillery builder. It is a big risk but manageable by looking at opponents' military strength. At least in theory...

Plans are subject to change of course. If it becomes a true builder game with hospitals and factories and such then everything will be reevaluated.

Another factor against infantry invasion is the distance between continents mentioned by Maarten (rik); he says we need carriers for aircraft. So reinforcements will be hard to bring to the front with no airports. And we only have one continent so no Militaristic for harbors/rax to answer Akots' earlier question.

Of course reinforcements need to be on hand to survive subsequent attacks. 90 cav->45 infantry leaves 22 defenders left, with 22 cavs with more than 1 hp left (and 32 retreats per combat calc). 32 retreats is equivalent to 8 full strength cavs, and if I assume that all his cavs are full strength (30) against the 22 2/4 (another assumption) infantry, they will survive the next turn. War weariness would be bad (instant level 4 weariness).

What does all that mean? Not real sure, and there is probably faulty logic somewhere. If I hold off until flight however and keep that 1 inf for every 2 cav ratio, I can build an airport, cover my island with airbases, and rush on in. If I let him achieve tanks that is all out the window. The only other way to do it is achieve naval superiority and be able to chain units over. Dont know what I will do. Comments and criticism welcome as I am just thinking out loud basicly.
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote