Thread: It is time!
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30   #20
Plux
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Well, I've played one game. (At least, I almost finished it.) Sure I don't know the exact proper tactics to win, but I sort of got the gist of it. It's alright to buy G&K too, but currently it's $29.99. I didn't check when it was on sale, but I can't really afford it now until February. The question is: should I start a Giant Multiplayer Robot game without it, or do you guys wanna wait until I've got the expansion?
the big plus imo opinion is that stacks of units are abandoned, meaning the armies are a bit more vulnerable, but still there are certain truths to win battles.. use at least two sling units like catapult or trebuchet for smaller cities up to 5 or 6 in size. to battle AI most of the time you sacrifice one or two weak units that are defensively attacked from the sieged city. I haven`t found any absolute algorithmics that are implemented though on which units get attacked first.. don`t forget to bring melee units to capture the city once all defense points are zeroed cause archers can only capture empty barb camps..

religion brings some benefits, although I liked it better in civ4. still it gives some economic and happiness bonuses that might be obligatory for mid game survival. it`s brings more universal (ie benefits for other civs once it starts spreading) in late game. I haven`t seen any cultural conversions in early to middle game anymore. cultural borders are steady and do not swap anymore, so if you find some key tiles (resources or natural wonders) make sure to buy them fast enough or you might be kicking yourself for the rest your game for leaving it to natural border growth algorithmics.

I`m trying to get into modding, but have trouble with visual studio getting to work on win 7, so modbuddy is not my buddy yet.

Last edited by Plux; 10-01-2013 at 11:33.
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote