View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 15:45   #21
romeothemonk
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Markstar

The church is the same: They hold on to their view on the world as long as they possible can until there is no more way around it. For them, the earth was flat and only when people started to come back at the other side, they finally "revised" their position.

- People are stupid, that's why they fall for that crap.
You had two really good points, one I agree with wholeheartedly, and one I can attempt to prove wrong.
First, I agree that people are entirely stupid (myself included).

On the point of the church contending that the earth is flat, I will attempt to argue this point using Saint Thomas Aquinas. More details availible at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas

In his works, one of the fundamental tenats of Catholic Theology, and inspiration for a majority Dante's Divine Comedy (See how many cross-references there are between the two), he states that the world is round. In the time frame from 1225-1274!! He even states that it could be proven by using the greek astronomers and mathemiticians!! I will admit that I have not read all of Aquinas, or even more than 30 pages or so, but that nugget jumped out at me in the first 30 pages of the book I was reading in my high school library.
According to my much more "modern" texts, they claim that the catholic church held doggedly to a position of a flat earth until well after Magellen!! Somewhere in here there is a disconnect, and this common rebuttal to ID can be disproven, at least to some extent.

Present the Truth, and it shall set you free!!