Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 12:19   #18
Kemal

As people who know how I approach and play the game of civ3 will understand, I have put a very large investment of energy, and at least a hundred hours of free time playing this PBEM against Skyfish in the past half a year. Skyfish himself certainly knew about this, as we spoke regularly via MSN, and discussed the topic of my time-consuming approach on playing the game in more than one of these conversations.

Obviously, my time was totally wasted on this game, as Skyfish was manipulating the savegame files in such a way that he got several very large advantages over me, and I'm very saddened and disappointed to have invested my energy in projects that I've been doing together with Skyfish over the past few years, as my history with him goes beyond just the PBEMs played on this site.

However, one thing that is much more painful to me in this case, is something that is even more valuable to me than the wasted energy and time I've put into these projects. A thing that can only be given once IMO, and something which Skyfish has abused in a way that is beyond my comprehensability:

I've given him my trust, and he has not proven a person worthy to recieve it, that much is clear to me now. By the actions made by skyfish in my game against him, he has caused a breach of trust between us that has no hope of ever being fully mended again.

While fully knowing of his acts, and of the time I spent and trust that I gave him, he has chosen not to confess any of his illegal acts at any of the dozens of opportunities that he has had over the past few months, not before starting this game with me, not during the time we played it, and not even after the game had finished and I congratulated him with his victory, even though we have spoken about it when I had already resigned, and not even giving any sign whatsoever when speaking to the persons he was betraying face-to-face on the meeting some of us had in The Hague on the 27th of March this year.

To learn that I have not been the only one that he has been betraying for such a long period, and that he has been trying to hide this away as well from the community here at CDZ, only adds to my changed view I now have of this person.
Someone who has also failed to give any reaction on matters such as how, what and why he has done the things that have been discovered now, even after being given the time and opportunity to do so outside the public fora here on CDZ, but repeatedly failed to take it.

Furthermore, I'd like to add one small thing about the way the case is presented here. Though some people may be happy about the way Skyfish has been communicating with them, or any other things he might have done for this site, I think this is not the thread to be pointing those things out, just beneath the publication of this person commiting the IMO worst crime possible in a community like this, betraying the trust given to him by other members on several occasions, for lengthy amounts of time.
It is my opinion that any decision or judgement on a matter as severe as this one should have the same basis and considerations for any participating member of CDZ, whether him being skyfish, or an unknown member that has just signed on to this board. Any of his personal behaviour and other matters he might have done in the past few years that are totally unrelevant to the matter of him using illegal methods during the PBEMs he has played, and the consequences it should have, should therefore in my opinion have been stated in a separate thread at least, if at all.

Kemal