View Single Post
Old 23-07-2004, 21:40   #1
Grille

Default Playing my mates Sprotte and Froggy

This is a 3 human player/5 AI C3C 1.15 PBEM on a great map made by Skyfish with some special requests. Each human player started on an 'own' continent with at least one but no more than two AI rivals. Ivory should be available on all these continents. The map size is large and difficulty is set to monarch. I forgot about the barb setting, but they are present and thus automatically annoying me.

The game has been updated to 1.22 some time ago.

My friends insisted to pick France and China, I'm Sumeria.

Because of the large map size and the fairly easy difficulty level, I decided to follow a not-so-dense build pattern. I hope I can grab one or another sweet middle-ages wonder with more working tiles per city than usual.

I haven't had a classic settler factory, but I've built three early grannies to secure a rapid expansion.
With their alphabet, the nearby Greeks featured a succesful philo gambit. I took CoL and researched republic afterwards. I switched ASAP.
The other civ on my continent is Rome (on the other end) and they are totally backwards, although no war took place here. The Romans have ivory but maths is a mystery to them - and ZoS has not been built yet anywhere! Alas, they ignored to build a trade network.

We are now 131 turns into the game and tech pace is slowww in this part of the world. The Greeks were a good tech trading partner, though (e.g. free tech exchanged).
They just build too much culture and messed up the available settling space. Plus, the Athens area looks like a good place for my FP.
So my chariot/horsemen->knight upgrade costs will be put on their bill (start on chivalry in 1 turn). The city of Erech will switch to Knights Templar from a pre-build. Sumer is preparing for Leo's.

Here's a shot of Sumeria, turn128:

259.92KB

I don't know much about the rest of the world. My few curraghs committed suicide or sucked vs barbs. New galleys underway.
I'm 200+ points ahead, so I guess Sprotte and Froggy were (are?) involved into wars (Egypt's score sucks). Sprotte built TGL - in his capital Paris! Maybe it was a SGL rush, but who would build it w/o a number of contacts? Or he has only one neighbour/contact?

Anyways, F11 is on my side :

142.66KB

We're probably meeting for a hotseat session soon, so I hope I can present detailed plans for the attack vs Greece then.