View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 10:40   #12
Shabbaman
Administrator

The game is getting released at the end of the month. There's not much buzz about it on CDZ (but then again, not much traffic besides the RTW threads and the meeting thread anyway...), but I assume most of you are interested. I just read this review. To quote the first paragraph:

Quote:
quote:A lot of people mistake Civilization IV: Colonization for a Civ IV expansion pack. What else could it be when it has another game's name in its title, right? The reality of the situation, though, is that Colonization is a completely freestanding title that uses very little from Civ IV beyond some basic gameplay concepts and the sharp-looking 3-D engine. It's entirely possible to buy and play it separately from Civ IV, although this isn't a course of action I recommend. Unless you're very familiar with the basic strategy of Civ IV or at least with the original PC game, you may find yourself overwhelmed by the difficulty and sheer complexity inherent in Colonization.
To me, colonization is the ultimate micromanagement game. In civ4 I get the feeling that what I do has a smaller effect on the game than the terrain around me has. I hope col2 is different in that aspect. At the base it isn't, but you get more opportunity to pick suitable colony sites.

Anyway, I plan to start a succession game in about a month or so, and you better be in it. At least I expect our only betatester to be in. Hopefully this SG gets more participants than my last civ4 attempt at a SG