Thread: Civ 6 is free
View Single Post
Old 28-05-2020, 10:50   #5
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
Just curious, what is great about CK2?
CK2 is strategy game with heavy rpg elements. The vanilla version is also free to play since Paradox announced CK3.

It's also a game unlike any other. There's a layer that seems as if the game is just a medieval version of Europa Universalis (and if you don't know EU either, well, that's a completely different discussion, just imagine a tbs 4x game set in this timeframe) but it is in fact a marriage simulator: you're a ruler of a country, and you need to make sure your offspring gets a good inheritance, and then you'll die and continue playing as your heir... You have the opportunity to shape the traits of your children, through nature and nurture. And that means that you'll have to search for a suitable mate first. There are rpg-style event chains where your choices affect the outcome. This means you'll have a connection with your character, both the current and the one you;ll play in a few hours.

I've played many Paradox games over the years. They all look similar because they all use the same engine, but CK2 is a lot more immersive than the other games. If you have an interest in history, Paradox games are great. Unless you actually like to win, because it doesn't really have victory conditions. It's a sandbox, basically.

I made a small walkthrough a few years back, I think it's a fun read: http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5403

If CK2 is too soft for your taste, try Europa Universalis. The timeframe is more limited than Civ and maps aren't random, but as a strategy game the game is simply better. Paradox games work with triggers and event trees, and you can just read up on these and figure out what works and why.

About which version of Civ is better, 4 is simply a great game. Personally I like 3 better, or at least I remember civ3 more fondly. I wouldn't consider playing civ3 or civ4 again though. I did play about 200 hours (peanuts, I know) of civ5, which is simply an enjoyable game that is way too easy to break. I only played civ6 for half that time, but I haven't bought the last big DLC and played only a single game with the second DLC. Without DLC the game seemed empty compared to 5 and 4 plus DLC. My feeling is that these games (5 and 6) aren't aimed for the solo player but are 100% aimed at multiplayer. I don't have the time and the patience for that, so I am not that player (anymore).

What would I suggest you play? Well, civ6 is free, civ5 is too easy, and civ4 is old. If you have civ4 you could just reinstall it. Trying civ6 for free won't hurt. If you're looking for a new hobby, try a Paradox game like EU4 or CK2. I was under the impression that you weren't gaming anymore, so better stay away from CK2 then

The game I'm playing the last few years is Stellaris. It's a Paradox game in space. I found that the thing about 4x I enjoy most is exploring, and that's something Stellaris and EU4 have. I mostly play shooters now though.